Warm Bulgur with Eggplant
Hearty and healthy bulgur gets dressed up with eggplant, raisins, almonds, and spices in this tasty fall or winter dish.
Serves: serves 4
- 4 oz (125 g) bulgur or cracked wheat
- 4-6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large eggplant, cut into cubes
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 oz (90 g) flaked almonds
- 2 oz (60 g) raisins
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Simmer the bulgur wheat in twice its volume of water for 10 minutes, or until the grains are soft. Drain if necessary.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil in a skillet over medium heat and fry the onion until it turns brown.
- Add the eggplant and, stirring frequently, sauté until it is brown-you might need to add a little extra oil.
- Add the coriander and cumin to the pan and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat, add the almonds and raisins, and brown lightly.
- Stir the cooked bulgur wheat into the vegetables, season with salt and pepper, add extra oil, and sauté for 1 minute to heat through.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!