Staff Favorites: Best Holiday Cookie Recipes
2 of 10
Makes about 3 dozen cookiesIngredients:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a bowl.
- Beat the shortening until creamy. Gradually beat in the sugar. Beat in the egg and dark molasses.
- Pour 1/3 of the flour mixture into the shortening mixture; blend thoroughly. Pour in the remaining flour mixture, and mix together until a soft dough forms.
- With a teaspoon, scoop out small amounts of dough and roll into 1 inch balls between your hands.
- Roll each ball in cinnamon sugar, and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake about 10 minutes, until the tops are slightly cracked.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack.