Staff Favorites: Best Holiday Cookie Recipes
8 of 10
Swedish Butter Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen cookiesIngredients:
- ½ lb. butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt (pinch)
- Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix thoroughly. Put dough in the refrigerator to chill for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375° before removing dough from refrigerator. Cover work area with waxed paper and sprinkle with flour. Cover rolling pin in flour and roll out dough in batches, working very fast so dough is kept on the hard side. Keep remainder of dough in refrigerator until ready to roll it out.
- Use cookie cutters to cut different shapes. Add sprinkles, colored sugar, hearts, etc. to decorate (kids love this part!). Transfer cookies from wax paper to cookie sheet.
- Bake until hard, but not brown, about 6-8 minutes. Watch the first batch closely!
- Transfer from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool.
Next: Whoopie Pies