Beef and Barley Soup
Quick-cooking barley and lean ground beef are featured in this no-frills meal-in-a-soup-bowl.
Serves: 6 servings
- 8 ounces coarsely ground top beef round or 95% lean ground beef
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme or marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- Coat a 2 1/2-quart pot with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the ground meat, and cook, stirring to crumble, until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off and discard any excess fat.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the barley to the pot, and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the barley, and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the barley is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup, and discard. Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.