Beef, Fennel, and Mushroom Hotpot
Beef, fennel, and mushrooms are a delicious combination in this hotpot meal.
Prep Time: 40M
Cooking Time: 1H45M
Serves: Serves 8
- 21/2lb (1.1kg) beef stew meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp mild paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 3 fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into eighths
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups hot beef stock or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1lb (450g) cremini mushrooms, quartered
- pinch of dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Season the meat well, then place in a mixing bowl and toss with the flour and paprika until the pieces are evenly coated.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large cast-iron casserole, add the meat and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes, or until evenly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the casserole, add the onion, and sauté for 6-8 minutes, or until soft. Season. Add the fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes, or until beginning to soften slightly. Add the wine, raise the heat, and simmer for a couple of minutes until the alcohol evaporates. Return the meat to the casserole, pour in the stock, then bring to a boil. Cover and place in the oven for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, melt the butter in a frying pan, add the mushrooms and oregano, and sauté, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir into the beef and fennel and return to the oven for another 30 minutes. Serve with boiled potatoes.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!