Beef Stew with Olives
Olives make a great addition to this tasty beef stew.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 1H45M
Serves: Serves 8
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 31/2lb (1.6kg) beef stew meat, cut into bite-size cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 11/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- a few sprigs of rosemary
- 6oz (175g) black olives, pitted
- 16 small cipolline onions or pearl onions, peeled
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups hot vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Heat the oil in a cast-iron casserole, add the meat, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until browned all over. Lower the heat and stir in the garlic and cumin. Add the wine and wine vinegar, raise the heat, and let bubble and reduce for a few minutes while the alcohol evaporates.
- Add the rosemary, olives, and onions, stir, and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 11/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-proof container, seal, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost overnight in the refrigerator, then transfer to a large saucepan and heat gently until piping hot. Alternatively, place in a covered ovenproof dish and heat in an oven preheated to 350°F (180°C) for 30 minutes. Serve with rice.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!