Hearty and satisfying, this Russian beet and vegetable soup can be enjoyed at any time of year, either hot or chilled
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 11/2 hrs
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 2 large beets
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- one 14.5oz ( 110g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream, for serving
- Roughly shred the beets, onion, carrot, and celery.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the beets, onion, carrot, and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until just softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juices and the garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the stock and return to a boil.
- Tie the bay leaves and cloves in a small piece of rinsed cheesecloth. Add to the pot. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 11/4 hours.
- Discard the cheesecloth packet. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream.
- prep 15 mins; cook 11/2 hrs
Lite Borscht: For a lighter soup, blend until smooth and add a little more stock. Serve hot or chilled, garnished with a swirl of natural yogurt and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!