Type: Soups and Stews
Originally nothing more than a humble fisherman's soup using the remains of the day's catch, bouillabaisse has evolved into one of the great dishes
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 45 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
For the soup
- 1 / 4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 cups hot fish or chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni with 1 celery stalk, 4 thyme springs, and 1 bay leaf
- pinch of saffron threads
- 1 strip of orange zest
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3lb (1.35kg) mixed fish fillets and shellfish, such as red snapper, cod, bluefish, clams, mussels, and shrimp, prepared as necessary
- 2 tbsp Pernod (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 thin slices day-old French bread, toasted, for serving
For the Rouille
- 1 / 2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small, fresh hot red chile, seeded and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 / 2 tsp salt
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, leeks, fennel, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 5-8 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened but not colored. Add the tomatoes, wine, and tomato paste and stir until blended.
- Add the stock, bouquet garni, saffron, orange zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, partially cover the pan. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the soup is reduced slightly, stirring occasionally.
- To make the rouille, place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until needed.
- Cut the fish into bite-sized chunks. Remove the orange zest and bouquet garni from the stock, and add the shellfish. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the fish fillets and simmer for a 2-3 minutes more or until the fish flakes easily. Stir in the Pernod, if using, and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spread each piece of toast with rouille and put 2 slices in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle in the soup,. including a good selection of fish and shellfish.
- prep 20 mins; cook 45 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!