Cheddar Corn Chowder
This dish will prove just how scrumptious a little reduced-fat cheddar can be when blended into a rich corn chowder.
Serves: Serves: 4 (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (5 ounces) diced raw potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup (one 8-ounce can) cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups (one 12-fluid-ounce can) Carnation Evaporated Skim Milk
- 1/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (one 2-ouncejar) chopped pimiento, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- In a large saucepan, combine water, potatoes, onion, celery, and carrots. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cream-style corn, whole-kernel corn, and evaporated skim milk. Add Cheddar cheese, pimiento, and parsley flakes. Mix well to combine.
- Continue simmering for 5 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring occasionally.
- Thaw corn by placing in a colander and rinsing under hot water for one minute.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.