Chicken Capellini Soup
This is chicken noodle soup with a fancy name, and it tastes just as great!
Serves: 8 servings
- 7 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning or dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced, divided
- 2 medium stalks celery, sliced (include the leaves), divided
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 3 ounces capellini (angel hair) pasta, broken into 2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Place the chicken broth, onion, garlic cloves, bouillon granules, Italian seasoning or rosemary, and pepper in a 4-quart pot. Add half of the carrots and half of the celery, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables and garlic cloves to a blender. Add 1 1/2 cups of the hot broth, and place the lid on the blender, leaving the top slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. Carefully blend at low speed until the mixture is smooth. Return the puréed mixture to the pot, and stir to mix well.
- Add the remaining carrots and celery to the pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add the chicken, and simmer for 5 additional minutes.
- Add the capellini to the pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer for about 3 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. (Be careful not to overcook, as the pasta will continue to soften in the hot soup.)
- Stir the parsley into the soup. Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.