Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls
This classic chicken soup features tasty, fat-free matzo balls.
Serves: 8 servings (3/4 cup broth and two matzo balls)
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 recipe Fluffy Fat-Free Matzo Balls
- Place the chicken broth, onion, celery, bouillon granules, pepper, and nutmeg in a 2 1/2-quart pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a blender. Add 1 cup of the hot broth, and place the lid on the blender, leaving the top slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. Carefully blend at low speed until smooth. Return the puréed mixture to the pot, and stir to mix well.
- Add the parsley and matzo balls to the soup, and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, placing 2 matzo balls in each bowl, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.