Chile con Carne
A Tex-Mex classic
Prep Time: 5M
Cooking Time: 50M
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 lb ( 675g) ground round
- one 15oz ( 420g) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- one 14.5oz ( 411g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped cilantro and sour cream
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the chile powder and cumin, then the beef. Cook, breaking up the beef with a spoon, until it browns all over, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, sprinkled with cilantro and topped with sour cream.
- freeze for up to 3 months
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!