Chili Beef and Bean Soup
Chili beef and beans make this soup hearty enough to be served as a complete meal.
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 2H
Serves: Serves 8
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2-3 red chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 11/4lb (550g) beef stew meat, cut into 1in (2.5cm) cubes
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 pints (2.3 liters) hot beef stock
- 2 ื 14oz (400g) cans kidney beans, drained
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan, add the onions, and cook over low heat for about 6-8 minutes or until soft. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the peppers and chiles and cook for 5 minutes. Add the meat and cook, stirring frequently, for 5-10 minutes or until beginning to brown all over.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stir well, then cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 11/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Add the kidney beans and cook for 10 minutes more, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-proof container, making sure the meat is covered (add a little more stock if it isn't). Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost the soup overnight in the refrigerator, then transfer to a pan and heat until piping hot. Stir in the parsley and serve.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!