Chili makes a hot, filling meal on a cold winter day.
Serves: 12 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped 2 green bell peppers, cored and chopped
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast or 95% lean ground beef
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 14-ounce packages frozen kidney beans
- 2 6-Ounce cans tomato paste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons crushed oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder Salt to taste, optional Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In a large pot, sauté the vegetables in olive oil over medium-high heat for a few minutes to soften.
- Add the turkey or ground beef and continue cooking over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until done.
- If using beef, remove extra fat by draining in a colander and then return to the pot.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes until thickened.
- For families, keep this mild by using only 2 tablespoons of chili powder. Adults can add red pepper flakes at the table to spice it up if needed.
From The Weeknight Survival Cookbook: How to Make Healthy Meals in 10 Minutes by Dena Irwin, R.D. Copyright © 1998 by Dena Irwin. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
To order this book visit www.wiley.com.