Chilli Con Carne
Chili con carne is easy to make, low in fat, and freezes like a charm.
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: Serves 8
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large onions, diced
- 21/2lb (1.1kg) lean ground beef
- 2/3 cup dry sherry
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 green bird's-eye chiles, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 ื 14oz (400g) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 ื 14oz (400g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan, add the onions, and cook, for 5 minutes, or until starting to soften. Add the meat and cook over medium heat, stirring, until no longer pink. Stir in the sherry and garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the chiles, cayenne, and paprika and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and bay leaves, cook for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and oregano. Bring to a boil, season, then simmer over low heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-proof container (or 4 freezer bags-2 portions per bag), seal, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then heat to a saucepan, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until piping hot.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!