Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup
Type: Soups and Stews
This chunky chicken soup is easy to make, and all kids love the noodles!
Serves: 7 servings
- 2 bone-in skinless chicken breast halves (about 8 ounces each)
- 6 1/2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery (include the leaves)
- 3/4 cup sliced carrots
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 ounces medium no-yolk noodles
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse the chicken with cool water, and place the chicken, broth, and bouillon granules in a 3-quart pot. Bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, and set aside. Add the mushrooms, celery, carrots, onion, savory, thyme, and pepper to the pot, and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 additional minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Pull the chicken meat from the bones, and tear or dice it into bite-sized pieces. Add it to the soup along with the noodles.
- Increase the heat slightly to return the mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the noodles are al dente. (Be careful not to overcook, as the noodles will continue to soften in the hot soup.) Stir the parsley into the soup, ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.