Chunky Clam Chowder
Type: Soups and Stews
Yukon gold potatoes are sweeter than normal roasting potatoes, and taste great in this chunky clam chowder!
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 cans (6 1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups diced peeled Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) whole kernel corn
- 1 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Drain the clams, reserving the juice, and set aside.
- Place the water, potatoes, celery, onion, savory, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the reserved clam juice in a 2 1/2-quart pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Add the corn to the pot. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the potatoes and corn are tender. Add all of the milk and 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk to the pot. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture is heated through.
- Place 1 cup of the soup-including both broth and vegetables-in a blender, and place the lid on the blender, leaving the top slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. Carefully blend the mixture at low speed until smooth. Return the blended mixture to the pot.
- Add the clams to the pot. Place the remaining 1/4 cup of evaporated milk and the cornstarch in a small dish, and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the soup, and, stirring constantly, simmer the soup for 5 additional minutes, or until thickened and bubbly.
- Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.