Gazpacho is a fun summer soup, with strong tomato flavor.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 2 cups chopped bell pepper, divided
- 1 1/4 cups chopped green onions, divided
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and chopped, divided
- 2 (16-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground celery seeds
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 to 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat croutons
- Set aside 1 cup bell pepper, 1/2 cup green onions and 1 cup cucumber; store in plastic bag.
- Combine remaining ingredients except croutons in blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour gazpacho into bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, add reserved vegetables and top with croutons.
- Tomatoes are one of the best sources of lycopene, a potent antioxidant that has been shown to prevent certain types of cancer.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.