Cream of Broccoli Soup
Type: Soups and Stews
This thick and creamy soup is rich with broccoli flavor, but has no cream in it!
Serves: 4 servings
- 1/2 recipe mashed potatoes
- 1/2 recipe cooked broccoli
- 15-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces fat-free sour cream
- 8-ounce package Sargento Light reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, broccoli, and broth.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- With a potato masher, mash the broccoli until broken up into small pieces (you can also use a hand-held blender for a smoother texture).
- Add the sour cream and cheese. Continue to heat and stir until cheese is melted.
- Season with black pepper.
- The mashed potatoes in this recipe give the soup a thick, creamy texture without adding cream.
From The Weeknight Survival Cookbook: How to Make Healthy Meals in 10 Minutes by Dena Irwin, R.D. Copyright © 1998 by Dena Irwin. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
To order this book visit www.wiley.com.