Creamy Carrot Soup
Type: Soups and Stews
This carrot soup is made creamy with a bit of milk, and fresh dill and crushed marjoram make it delicious!
Serves: 6 servings
- 4 cups diced carrots (about 6 medium)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and diced
- 3 1/2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated skim milk
- Minced fresh dill (garnish)
- Place the carrots, onion, potato, broth, marjoram, salt, and pepper in a 4-quart pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Place 2 cups of the soup-including both vegetables and broth-in a blender, and place the lid on the blender, leaving the top slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. Carefully blend the mixture at low speed until smooth. Repeat this procedure until all of the soup has been blended smooth.
- Return all of the puréed soup to the pot, and place the pot over medium heat. Add the evaporated milk, and cook, stirring constantly, for several minutes, or until the mixture is heated through.
- Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve hot, topping each serving with a sprinkling of fresh dill.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.