Fresh Tomato Soup
This flavorful tomato soup is perfect on its own or as a side dish to grilled cheese or other sandwiches.
Serves: serves 4
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 11/2 lb (750 g) tomatoes, peeled, quartered, and deseeded
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2-3 slices stale whole-wheat bread, crusts removed and coarsely crumbled
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp pesto
- In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat, and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until broken down.
- Add the vegetable stock, cook for 4-5 minutes, add the bread, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve tepid, with the pesto.
- Make this in summer when you can find beautifully ripe, red tomatoes that are full of flavor.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!