This easy-to-make chilled tomato soup is perfect for a hot summer day.
Prep Time: 15M, plus chilling time
Serves: serves 4-6
Dairy, egg, & nut free
- 2 1/4 lb fresh ripe tomatoes, skinned and quartered
- 1/2 small onion, quartered
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small day-old bread roll or thick slice of bread (about 2 oz), soaked in water
- 3 tbsp wine vinegar
- good pinch of sugar
- 1/2 red or green chili, seeded and chopped (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ice water to thin (optional)
- In a food processor blend together the tomatoes, onion, pepper, cucumber, garlic, olive oil, bread (squeeze out the water just before using), vinegar, sugar, and chili, if using. Blend for 1 minute or until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving and thin with ice water, if necessary.
- Serve with your choice of garnish or arrange the garnish in small bowls at the table and allow guests to choose their own.
- If eggs are tolerated, a little very finely chopped hard-boiled egg is an attractive garnish.
- Watch out for chili, since some people can't tolerate it. Omit if in any doubt.
Gluten free also dairy, egg, & nut free: Follow the recipe for dairy, egg & nut free; Gazpacho, but use a gluten-free bread roll and substitute gluten-free cro鹴ons to garnish, if using.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!