Golden Split Pea Soup
Type: Soups and Stews
For a split pea soup of a different color, try this recipe, which calls for yellow split peas.
Serves: 8 servings
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth or water
- 1 1/2 cups dried yellow split peas, cleaned
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Place all of the ingredients in a 3-quart pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, or until the peas are soft and the liquid is thick.
- Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.