Granny's Vegetable Soup
Each time you dip your spoon in this vegetable soup, something great will turn up: a chunk of potato, a bright yellow kernel of corn, peas, carrots, green beans - and more!
Serves: Serves: 4 (full 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups Healthy Request tomato juice or any reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup (5 ounces) diced raw potatoes
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 cup frozen sliced carrots, thawed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine tomato juice and water. Stir in potatoes, green beans, carrots, and onion. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add cabbage, peas, corn, parsley flakes, and lemon pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Thaw frozen vegetables by placing in a colander and rinsing under hot water for about two minutes.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.