Hearty Chicken and Barley Soup
Type: Soups and Stews
Pearling barley removes most of its nutrients, so try the hulled variety for this chicken and barley soup.
Serves: 8 servings
- 2 bone-in skinless chicken breast halves (about 8 ounces each)
- 5 cups water or unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 cup hulled or pearled barley
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups diced unpeeled potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup sliced celery (include the leaves)
- Rinse the chicken with cool water, and place the chicken, water or broth, barley, bouillon granules, garlic, poultry seasoning, and pepper in a 3-quart pot. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, and set aside. Add the mushrooms, potatoes, onion, carrots, and celery to the pot, and increase the heat to return the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 additional minutes, or until the barley and vegetables are tender and the flavors are well blended.
- Pull the chicken meat from the bones, and tear or dice it into bite-sized pieces. Add the chicken to the soup, and simmer for 5 additional minutes. Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.