Home-Style Beef-Barley Soup
Type: Soups and Stews
On a cold winter day, nothing tastes better than a warm bowl of beef-barley soup!
Serves: Serves: 6 (1 1/3 cups)
- 1/2 cup (3 ounces) pearl barley
- 1 3/4 cups (one 14 1/2-ounce can) Swanson Beef Broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 full cups (12 ounces) diced lean cooked roast beef
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine barley, beef broth, and 1/4 cup water.
- Cook for minutes or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally. Add remaining 3 3/4 cups water, roast beef, carrots, celery, and onion. Mix well to combine.
- Stir in parsley flakes and black pepper. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- If you don't have leftovers, purchase a chunk of lean cooked roast beef from your local deli or use Healthy Choice Deli slices)
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.