Italian Vegetable Soup
Type: Soups and Stews
This low-fat vegetable soup is healthy and full of flavor.
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 10 3/4-ounce can condensed chicken broth
- l4 1/2-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 ounces uncooked spaghetti or pasta
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in large skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir-fry onion, celery, and garlic until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add basil, pepper, water, broth and tomatoes.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add corn and pasta.
- Cover and simmer an additional 10 minutes until pasta is lender.
- Pour soup into serving bowls. Garnish each bowl with Parmesan cheese.
- There are many variations to this soup that are also tasty. Try adding cooked chicken or shrimp and make it a complete meal.
From Quick Meals for Healthy Kids and Busy Parents. Copyright © 1995 by Sandra K. Nissenberg, Margaret L. Bogle, and Audrey C. Wright. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
To order this book visit www.wiley.com.