Italian White Bean Soup
Type: Soups and Stews
Cayenne pepper gives this white bean soup a hint of heat.
Serves: 11 servings
- 7 cups water or unsalted chicken broth
- 2 cups dried navy beans or Great Northern beans, cleaned and soaked
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 6 medium plum tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced
- 2 large stalks celery, thinly sliced (include the leaves)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- Place all of the ingredients except for the vinegar in a 4-quart pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the beans are soft.
- Remove 4 cups of the soup-including vegetables, beans, and hot broth-from the pot. Place 2 cups of the removed soup in a blender, and place the lid on the blender, leaving the top slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. Carefully blend at low speed until the mixture is smooth. Return the puréed soup to the pot, and stir to mix well. Repeat with the remaining 2 cups of removed soup.
- Add the vinegar to the soup, and stir to mix well. Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.