Leek & Butternut Squash Soup
This homemade soup is both delicious and nourishing. The recipe has varations to accommodate allergies to eggs, gluten, nuts, and dairy.
Prep Time: 1H15M
Cooking Time: 20M, plus reheating
Serves: serves 8
Egg, gluten, & nut free
- 1 tbsp nut-free flavorless vegetable oil
- 1 good-sized butternut squash
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 leeks, white parts only, finely chopped
- 11/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp molasses or dark brown sugar (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 3 tbsp light cream
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Halve the butternut squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Brush the cut surfaces with the oil and bake face down on a baking sheet for 1 hour or until the flesh is soft. When cool enough to handle, scoop out the pulp and discard the skin.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add the leeks and cook gently for about 3 minutes until softened, but not browned. Add the curry powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the roasted squash, stock, and the molasses or sugar. Season lightly. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pur閑 in a blender or food processor until there are no lumps. You may need to do this in two batches if it won't fit in your blender or food processor. Return to the saucepan. Stir in the chopped cilantro or parsley and the cream. Taste and re-season, if necessary. Reheat but do not reboil. Ladle into warm soup bowls, season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish lavishly (see suggestion).Pictured here
- Serve garnished with a swirl of heavy cream, chopped parsley or cilantro, toasted pumpkin seeds, or crumbled fried bacon (shown here).
- Watch out for stock cubes and bouillon. Check that they are dairy free or gluten free as necessary. Some people are sensitive to chili, so omit the curry powder if need be.
Dairy free also egg, gluten, & nut free: Follow the recipe for Egg, gluten, & nut free; Leek & butternut squash soup, but replace the butter with dairy-free spread and use soy cream alternative instead of the cream.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!