This hearty vegetarian soup has just a touch of spice certain to warm you up
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 35 mins
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 tsp curry powder
- 5 1 / 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 / 4 cup red lentils
- 1 / 2 cup tomato or multi-vegetable juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add the stock, lentils, and tomato juice.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.
- prep 20 mins; cook 35 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!