Matzo Balls for Quick-Fix Soup
Matzo ball soup will pick you up for the rest of the day!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 cup matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- Pepper to taste
- Pour egg whites into medium bowl; beat with electric mixer or whisk until stiff. Gradually add egg substitute and mix lightly.
- Combine matzo meal, onion, Mrs. Dash seasoning, parsley and pepper in plastic bag; shake until ingredients are blended.
- Add crumb mixture to egg mixture, stirring until ingredients are blended.
- Form mixture into 1-inch balls and place in 10 cups boiling water.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until matzo balls are soft and fluffy, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, carefully remove matzo balls from water; drain well.
- Line baking sheet with foil; arrange matzo balls in single layer on baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and freeze 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer; store matzo balls in plastic freezer bags until ready to serve.
- Add frozen matzo balls to boiling chicken broth and cook over medium heat until thawed and heated through. If desired, add frozen mixed vegetables to soup; bring to a boil and cook just until vegetables are tender. For a full meal, add cooked chicken.
- Check labels on egg substitutes before purchase; some are higher in calories and fat but do not provide better flavor or more nutritional value.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.