Type: Soups and Stews
Kids love the tiny meatballs in this healthy soup.
Serves: Serves: 6 (1 1/2 cups)
- 16 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 3 cups Healthy Request tomato juice or any reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 2 cups (one 16-ounce can) Healthy Request Chicken Broth
- 2 cups (one 16-ounce can) cream-style corn
- 1 teaspoon chili seasoning
- 2/3 cup (2 ounces) uncooked Minute Rice
- In a large bowl, combine meat, onion flakes, and parsley flakes.
- Form into 24 (1-inch) meatballs. Place meatballs in a large skillet sprayed with olive oil-flavored cooking spray.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until meatballs are browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine tomato juice, chicken broth, cream-style corn, and chili seasoning. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir in uncooked rice. Gently add browned meatballs.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If your family enjoys extra-spicy flavor, why not experiment by increasing (gradually!) the amount of chili seasoning?
From COOKING HEALTHY WITH THE KIDS IN MIND by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 1998 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here.