Type: Soups and Stews
Using a selection of both wild and cultivated mushrooms will produce a soup that is bursting with flavor
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 45 mins
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1lb ( 450g) mixed mushrooms, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- 7oz ( 200g) baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 5-6 minutes more. Add the stock and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- In batches, process in a blender or food processor with the lid ajar until coarsely purÃ©ed.
- Sprinkle in the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
- prep 10 mins; cook 45 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!