French onion soup fans will love this quick and tasty vegetarian version.
Serves: serves 4
- 2 large onions
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- fresh thyme
- black pepper
- 1/2tsp salt-free yeast extract
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- 4 oz (125 g) grated Cheddar cheese
- Peel and slice the onions, heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat, and cook the onions until slightly golden.
- Add the stock, thyme, pepper, and yeast extract, bring to a boil, and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the soup into ovenproof bowls. Float the bread in the soup, sprinkle grated cheese on top of the bread, and put under a hot broiler until melted.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!