Pearl Barley and Borlotti Bean One-pot
This one-pot meal combines barley, beans, and whole lot of flavor.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 45M
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125g) dry red wine
- 11/2 cups (6oz/175g) pearl barley
- 15oz (425g) can borlotti (cranberry) beans, drained and rinsed
- 14oz (400g) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 4 cups (1.1 liters) hot vegetable stock hot chili oil, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and cook gently for 5 minutes until soft. Increase the heat, pour in the wine, and bubble for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the pearl barley, and stir well until it has absorbed all the liquid. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, and hot stock. Return to a boil, and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low once again, season well with salt and pepper, and gently simmer for 25-40 minutes until the pearl barley is cooked and all the stock has been absorbed. If the mixture starts to dry out, add a little hot water.
- Drizzle with a splash of chili oil and serve hot, either on its own or with some fresh crusty bread.
- This is delicious cooked with farro instead of pearl barley. You can find farro in health food stores, Italian delis, or in some supermarkets.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!