Your family will love this hearty and flavorful pork goulash.
Prep Time: 25M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: Serves 8
- 21/2lb (1.1kg) pork shoulder, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp caraway seeds, crushed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste or purée
- 4 cups hot vegetable stock
- 6 tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- handful of curly parsley, finely chopped
- Toss the meat with the flour, paprika, and caraway seeds, and season with sea salt and black pepper. Heat the oil in a large cast-iron casserole, then add the meat and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, or until the pork begins to brown. Add the vinegar and stir for a couple of minutes, scraping up any brown bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato paste, followed by the stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook over low heat for 1 hour. Check occasionally and add a little boiling water if the goulash begins to dry out too much - it should remain fairly thick, though.
- Stir in the tomatoes, season to taste if needed, then top with the onion rings and parsley and serve.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!