Potato and Leek Soup
Leeks add tremendous flavor to this potato soup.
Serves: 9 servings
- 2 leeks
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced (6-7 medium)
- 2 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced (include the leaves)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- Cut the leeks in half lengthwise and rinse well. Thinly slice the white and light green parts, and place in a 4-quart pot. Thinly slice the tender parts of the dark green shoots, and set aside as a garnish.
- Add the broth, potatoes, celery, garlic cloves, bouillon granules, and pepper to the pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Transfer half of the vegetables and 1 1/2 cups of the hot broth to a blender. Pick out any garlic cloves that have remained in the pot, and add them to the blender, as well. Place the lid on the blender, leaving the top slightly ajar to allow steam to escape, and carefully blend the mixture at low speed until smooth. Return the pur閑d mixture to the pot, and stir to mix well.
- Add the evaporated milk to the pot, and stir to mix. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture is heated through.
- Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve hot, topping each serving with a sprinkling of the leek shoots.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.