This vegetarian soup prominently features the neglected leek and the ever-popular potato.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound leeks, trimmed and finely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 4 teaspoons Mrs. Dash seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- Combine all ingredients except sour cream in soup pot; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until potatoes are soft, 1 hour.
- Remove 1/2 to 3/4 cup potato cubes from soup and set aside.
- Pour remaining soup into blender or food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- Return to soup pot; add potato cubes and cook over low heat until heated through.
- Serve with sour cream. Soup can be served hot or cold.
- Potatoes are the most popular vegetable among Americans, with head lettuce and onions following in second and third place.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.