Prairie Beef-Vegetable Soup
Type: Soups and Stews
Here's a sturdy, soothing beef-vegetable soup!
Serves: Serves: 6 (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 3/4 cups (one 14 1/2-ounce can) Swanson Beef Broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups (one 16-ounce can) tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sliced carrots, thawed
- 2 cups (10 ounces) diced raw potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups (8 ounces) diced lean cooked roast beef
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine beef broth, water, and undrained tomatoes. Stir in onion, green beans, carrots, and potatoes.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Add roast beef, cabbage, parsley flakes, and black pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 1. Thaw green beans and carrots by placing in a colander and rinsing under hot water for one minute. 2. If you don't have leftovers, purchase a chunk of lean cooked roast beef from your local deli or use Healthy Choice Deli slices.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.