Savory pumpkin soup is the perfect tummy-warming lunch or dinner for fall and winter.
Serves: serves 4
- 11/2-lb (750-g) piece of pumpkin
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- whole-wheat garlic croutons
- Preheat the oven to 275°F (140°C).
- Cut the pumpkin into wedges, skin and all, remove seeds, put the pumpkin in an ovenproof dish, and bake for half an hour.
- Drain off the surplus water and reserve. Remove the pumpkin skin.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and cook the onion, the garlic, and the bay leaf for a few minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add the stock, the pumpkin, and its water, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the grated carrots, add the chopped parsley, adjust the seasoning, and serve with the croutons.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!