Salsa and Spice Chili
Bottled salsa heartily contrasts with cinnamon in this sweet and spicy chili.
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) tomatoes, crushed
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsalted tomato sauce
- 1 cup bottled salsa, mild or medium
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat
- Cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (optional)
- Coat a 3-quart pot with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the beef or turkey, and cook, stirring to crumble, until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off and discard any excess fat.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa, beans, onion, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and cinnamon to the pot, and stir to mix. Increase the heat to medium-high, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the onions are soft and the flavors are well blended.
- Serve hot, topping each serving with some of the cheese, sour cream, and scallions, if desired.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.