San Francisco Minestrone
Type: Soups and Stews
A hearty minestrone soup filled with veggies and rice is a great comfort on a foggy, San Francisco kind of day.
Serves: Serves: 6 (1 1/2 cups)
- 16 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup finely sliced celery
- 2 cups (one 16-ounce can) tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 3 cups water
- 2/3 cup (2 ounces) uncooked Minute Rice
- 2 cups shredded spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (2 1/2 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray, brown meat and onion. Add carrots, celery, undrained tomatoes, and water. Mix well to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in uncooked rice, spinach, basil, and black pepper.
- Re-cover and continue simmering for 10 minutes or until rice and vegetables are tender.
- When serving, top each bowl with 1 1/2 tablespoons Cheddar cheese.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.