Savory Italian Sausage Soup
This soup features Italian sausage, tomatoes, and chicken in a delicious broth with lots of savory vegetables.
Serves: 11 servings
- 12 ounces Turkey Italian Sausage
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) unsalted stewed tomatoes, crushed
- 1 can (1 pound) chickpeas, drained
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth or water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 6 ounces rotini pasta (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1/3 cup grated nonfat or regular
- Parmesan cheese (garnish)
- Coat a 4-quart pot with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the sausage, and cook, stirring to crumble, until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off and discard any excess fat.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the zucchini, pasta, and cheese to the pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the zucchini and pasta to the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. (Be careful not to overcook, as the pasta will continue to soften in the hot soup.)
- Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve hot, topping each serving with a rounded teaspoon of the Parmesan cheese.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.