Savory Vegetable-Beef Soup
Type: Soups and Stews
Here's a hearty vegetable beef soup that calls for everyday ingredients.
Serves: 11 1 cup servings
- 1 1/4 pounds beef top round or lean stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups unsalted beef broth or water
- 3 cups canned vegetable juice, like V-8 vegetable juice
- 1 tablespoon instant beef bouillon granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diced unpeeled potatoes (about 1 1/2 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cut green beans
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (unthawed) whole kernel corn
- Trim any visible fat from the meat. Rinse the meat with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Coat a 4-quart nonstick pot with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Add half of the beef at a time to the skillet, and stir-fry for about 4 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Add the broth or water, vegetable juice, bouillon granules, oregano, chili powder, bay leaves, and pepper to the pot, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, and green beans to the pot, and increase the heat slightly to return the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 additional minutes, or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Add the corn to the pot, and increase the heat slightly to return the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaves from the soup, and discard. Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.