Sweet corn makes this chowder especially delicious.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: Serves 8
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 medium potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 × 12oz (350g) cans corn, drained
- 5 cups hot vegetable stock
- handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp heavy cream (optional), to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, and cook over low heat for 6-8 minutes or until soft. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then stir in the potatoes and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Mash the corn a little with the back of a fork, then add to the pan. Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Stir in the parsley and season again with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper if needed.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-proof container and seal. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost overnight in the refrigerator and transfer to a saucepan and heat until piping hot. Stir in the cream, if using, and serve with fresh crusty bread.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!