Tavern Cheese Soup
Are you a fan of cheese soup on a cold night? Then this luscious recipe's for you!
Serves: Serves: 6 (1 full cup)
- 3 cups (15 ounces) diced raw potatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups (one 16-ounce can) Healthy Request Chicken Broth
- 1 cup + 2 table spoons (4 1/2 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, celery, onion, and chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and mash mixture (do not drain) with a potato masher until smooth. Gently stir in Cheddar cheese.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry milk powder and water. Add milk mixture to potato mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and black pepper.
- Return saucepan to heat and continue simmering for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture is heated through and cheese melts, stirring often.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.