Thick Vegetable Soup
Vegetable soup is the perfect comfort food for a chilly day.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 45M
Serves: Serves 8
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary leaves
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, finely chopped
- 4 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 × 28oz (800g) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups hot vegetable stock
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions, and cook over low heat for 6-8 minutes or until soft. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then add the garlic, rosemary, celery, and carrots and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the tomatoes and squash with the back of a fork. Add the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the parsley.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-proof container, seal, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then transfer to a pan and heat until piping hot. Serve with crusty bread.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!