Tomato and Chorizo Soup
Tomato and chorizo go great together in this soup recipe.
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: Serves 8
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 9oz (250g) chorizo, cut into small cubes
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely diced
- 4 carrots, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ื 28oz (800g) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups hot vegetable stock
- 2 ื 14oz (400g) cans chickpeas, drained
- handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped, to serve
- Heat half the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan, add the chorizo, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until beginning to crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add the onions, and cook over low heat for 6-8 minutes or until soft. Stir in the celery, carrots, and garlic, season with salt and pepper, then cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until tender. Add the pureed tomatoes, stock, and chickpeas and simmer for 15 minutes. Return the chorizo to the pan, then taste and season again with salt and pepper if needed.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-proof container, seal, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost overnight in the refrigerator, then transfer to a pan and heat until piping hot. Stir in the cilantro and serve.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!