Easy to make using canned tomatoes, this delicious soup can be enjoyed all year round
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 55M
Serves: makes 6-8 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 baking potato, peeled and chopped
- one 28oz ( 784g) can plum tomatoes in juice
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened but not colored.
- Add the carrot and potato and stir for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes with their juice, the stock, sugar, and bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, then return the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Let cool slightly. In batches, pur閑 in a blender with the lid ajar. Adjust the seasoning. Reheat gently and serve hot.
- low fat
- Prepare ahead: The soup can be cooled and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- Good with a swirl of heavy cream, cr鑝e fra頲he, or yogurt, or a garnish of celery leaves.
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup: Omit the potato. Broil 2 whole red peppers, turning occasionally, until the skin blackens. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel off the blackened skin and remove the seeds and ribs. Add the red peppers and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika to the soup just before pur閑ing it.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!