Vegetable and Barley Soup
Use any of your favorite vegetables in this hearty vegetarian soup with barley.
Serves: serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 sticks celery with leaves, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3-4 green cabbage leaves, finely shredded
- 1 large leek, washed, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp barley, well washed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, and leeks and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, season with the black pepper, and bring to a boil, stirring well.
- Allow to simmer, covered, until the vegetables are soft-about 45 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!